MADNESS event day information
CONGRATULATIONS ON TAKING ON THE MADNESS CHALLENGE!!
The Mule Event Management Team has worked hard to create the Madness course, but that is just a small part of what the event is about. We want to create a great atmosphere for participants and spectators, and encourage full support throughout the day. The info below will ensure you have the right information to make your day the most enjoyable it can be!
Be prepared and take on the challenge – you are the maniacs that make The Madness great!
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED and share with your ENTIRE team (if you were sent this…they weren’t!!)
Important “Madness” area Rules for all guests to “The Madness” Event:
The Madness course is located on a private working farm and as such we endeavour to respect and maintain this area – please assist us to do so.
- Please respect the environment – place rubbish in bins or remove with you, and if you see any blowing around please grab it.
- Please listen to all Madness Staff, if they ask you to move to another area it will be for your own safety or the safety of the other competitors and spectators.
- Spectators and competitors (when not taking part in an event) must remain clear of the marked course route and remain in the spectator areas.
- The Madness event is a non-smoking event.
- Please be aware of the staff vehicles throughout the day.
- Please use the toilet facilities provided on site – portaloos.
- Do not feed the livestock or horses.
- Do not adjust any gates, cross fences or enter any buildings unless specifically guided to do so.
- Intoxicated guests to The Mule facility will be asked to leave for their own safety.
- Please do not bring pets onto the area. It is a working farm with working dogs and livestock (thank you).
MADNESS Participant Rules:
- Participants may not take part in The Madness event if under the influence of alcohol or drugs – The Madness staff will have the right to remove any participant.
- Participants must be at the specific course brief prior to their event. (please see timings)
- Obstacles – The Madness course is about the challenge, we encourage you to attempt all obstacles as many times as you wish, ultimately you will make the decision when to move on.
- If you witness or locate an injured participant please check if they are ok and ensure they are in a safe location before informing one of The Madness staff who will then immediately deal with the situation.
- Madness staff are located at significant points around the course and will be easily seen, the staff are for safety and to guide you on the course or obstacles.
- If for any reason you end your challenge early (DNF), please inform the team at the Madness Finish line so that you are accounted for within the event.
- Participants must remain within the marked course – IF YOU LEAVE THE MARKED COURSE YOU WILL BE NOTED AS DNF (DID NOT FINISH) The course is marked with white pigtail posts with orange marker tape, they are located within visibility of the next post or obstacle – KEEP THE POSTS ON YOUR LEFT AT ALL TIMES!
- Always land two feet together, this spreads the load and reduces any chance of injury. Remember this at all times, walls, overhead obstacles, jumping into water and pits.
- Your team, representative will be required to sign a hard copy of the waiver form during event check in.
- TEAMS MUST CROSS THE FINISH LINE TOGETHER!!
Scoring / Timing system for each event:
The Madness course is very much focussed on the challenge and how you and your team complete the course, and about who you do it with. However we will be recoding your finish times. Obstacles are not scored – its all about honesty and having a go…and challenging yourself!
Important Event Day Timings:
0700hrs: Madness check-in open
You must check in a minimum of 45-60 minutes before your start time and be at the group brief for your wave. There is no room to join a later wave at this stage – please don’t miss your start time!
Check in procedure – ONE member of your team will check in and collect the team headbands and challenge number. Your team will then write the number on each headband and right hand.
T-shirts are collected on the finishing line – please remember what size you requested!
0830hrs: Group brief (waves 1-3)
- 0900hrs – Wave 1 Start (4 person teams)
- 0920hrs – Wave 2 Start (2 person teams)
- 0940hrs – Wave 3 Start (4 person teams)
0940hrs: Group brief (waves 4-6)
- 1000hrs – Wave 4 Start (2 person teams)
- 1020hrs – Wave 5 Start (4 person teams)
- 1040hrs – Wave 6 Start (2 person teams)
1040hrs: Group brief (waves 7-9)
- 1100hrs – Wave 7 Start (4 person teams)
- 1140hrs – Wave 8 Start (4 person teams)
- 1220hrs – Wave 9 Start (4 person teams)
1500hrs: Prize giving (on-site)
What to bring:
- Clothing for the event – we recommend running style clothing, however you may wear pretty much anything you like…but remember this is a family show! Avoid lose items that can snag on obstacles and terrain.
- Footwear with good quality grip – The course consists of more water elements than destructive mud and as such we strongly recommend good quality footwear designed for all terrain use.
- Warm, dry clothes and footwear for after the event – we encourage you to support other competitors and to enjoy the Madness event facilities, but better to be warm and dry when doing so.
- Cash (no eftpos on site) – food and drinks will be available throughout so bring some $$.
- Personal Medication – please ensure you have all specific medication on site.
- Towel – you may be wet at the end of the event. (there are no shower facilities on site)
- Supporters – spectators are very welcome, please ensure they are aware of the rules and facilities.
- Sense of adventure, humour and some serious energy!! – it will just help!
Facilities on site
- Food and Drinks will be available for cash purchases. ($5-$10 range)
- Toilet Facilities
- Drinking Water
- Spot prizes – beer / hoodies
Parking and Vehicle Movements:
- DRIVE CAREFULLY and allow enough time to arrive without rushing.
- MINIMISE VEHICLES – Share rides and car pool as much as possible please.
- PARK CAREFULLY – Please park where you are asked to and with courtesy for other vehicles.
- Please ensure that your support team, friends and family are aware of the attached rules. They are more than welcome to bring picnics and beverages.
- Intoxicated individuals will be asked to leave The Madness Event area.
- We would also encourage supporters to make the most of our partners products and take the time to take in the whole event.
And if they don’t cheer loudly enough they may be asked to reconsider their support techniques!
Route to “THE MADNESS” from Auckland:
- Head North on State Highway 16, through Kumeu and Waimauku.
- On the brough of the hill opposite the turning for Woodhill just outside Waimauku, turn right into number 1080.
- You will see Madness staff directing you where to park.
MADNESS SITE MAP:
- Please note the railway crossing that you will be walking across – this does have trains passing on occasion!
- Please note the parking areas, it is important to the safety of the event that vehicles are parked where directed only.
- Thank you Remember to bring some cash for food and drinks throughout the day!